Tuesday, December 24, 2013

A HEART OF GOLD: INTERVIEW WITH HEART 2 HEART NYC

FEATURE POST
Heart 2 Heart NYC |
An organization, building relationships, spreading love, & serving the less fortunate.
We interviewed Lucrecia Floresta, Founder of Heart 2 Heart in early November.  They liked one of our pictures on Instagram, we visited their profile page and was awe-struck by the work this young organization is doing in the city of New York.  We decided to save her interview to be our holiday post. 

In this season of giving, we thought her story would bless your heart the way it did ours.  It is the eve of Christmas, you may find yourself feeling overwhelmed by the pressures of gift giving, entertaining or possibly spending tomorrow alone - away from those you love.  If so, it's time to refocus.  You are blessed to have at this very moment the ability, means and opportunity to make a positive difference in someone's life.  What is your gifting, talent or idea?  We challenge you to put it to use tomorrow. Get creative! You ask how?  Read on and find out...


Tell us about yourself and how Heart 2 Heart is a reflection of who you are. 
I am a 24 year-old college grad from Florida. My story isn't different from any other New Yorker in the sense that I moved to New York to make a better living for myself within my field of study (fashion marketing) but of course I ended up going a different route. I am naturally a giver. I love to give, whether it's to help my family or for a complete stranger. I just never thought in a million years that I would be using my "gift of giving" to help people right here in my own community.

Everyone sees the bright lights and the beauty when they think of New York City, however within the bright lights there are so many needy and homeless people trying to find shelter and a meal to eat. Of course we see them on the train or as we walk through the city everyday, so people have conditioned themselves to ignore them and act as if these people or this issue doesn't exist. I don't have much to give, but I was compelled to try and give more than just a dollar or some change. I sew, and I had a great vision to start creating pillows to give to homeless, it's not much to us but it's everything to a homeless person sleeping on the cold concrete streets.

What is the purpose and mission of Heart 2 Heart?
The purpose of Heart 2 Heart is to build relationships with the homeless and displaced to let them know that are not forgotten and that they are loved. Just to spread love and encouragement.

Where is Heart 2 Heart located? Do work in other communities, states or countries?
Heart 2 Heart is located in Brooklyn, NY. Right now we are working out of my home. We would love to spread out to other communities eventually, but right now we want to tackle what is going on right here in our own community.

What is the positive social impact Heart 2 Heart is providing to the community?
We just want to help those who have fallen and need a little pick me up. Encouragement goes a long way. You never know, your small gesture can have a huge impact in someone's life. We want to encourage people to do this in their own community by purchasing pillows from us and giving them to the homeless where they are. We want to encourage them to share their efforts in serving and spreading love with us by posting pictures of their service on Instagram using hashtag "Heart2Heart".

Describe the moment you got the idea to create pillows for the homeless?
I had the idea to origanally do it for kids only, but one day I was walking down the street and I saw a homeless man who was in need and I had nothing to give and I asked God what can I possibly do for this man. And he gave me the vision and from there I just knew it was right. I was so happy. It was one of the first instances in my life for a long time that everything was clear.

How long has Heart 2 Heart been doing its work?
We are a young organization. I have been putting together the idea since April 2013 and I gave out my first set of pillows in July 2013. Since then people have gained interest and have been wanting to support in anyway they can, so I have a small team now. Our next date to give out pillows will be right before thanksgiving, which is November 23rd and I am so excited about it.

Tell us about your product (fabric, design, material sourcing, etc). 
Right now, I am using regular cotton fabric, 14in x 14in, and basic colors. I sew the pillows myself with my sewing machine and stuff them with polyester pillow stuffing. 


Do you only make pillows for the homeless or do you make home decor pillows that can be purchased and those sales help support your work?
Right now I am only working with the homeless. My future goals however, do include making home decor pillows which I can sell and the proceeds will help the homeless.

What's next for Heart 2 Heart? 
Great question! Wherever God take me! Aside from that, I plan to give out pillows every 2-3 months.

How can our readers get involved in Heart 2 Hearts work? 
They can make or purchase a pillow from us to give to someone homeless. Take pictures to encourage others to do the same. Post your pictures on Instagram using the hashtag  #heart2heartnyc and state one thing they learned about that individual. Our goal is to spread love in a world where love has diminished.

Is there anything else you would like to share about Heart 2 Heart?
I would like for people to see that Heart 2 Heart is more than just an organization. It's the act of sharing your love and building relationships with people that we normally wouldn't speak to. Every word counts when speaking to someone in need. Open your heart and they will definitely open theirs.

Please share how our readers can connect with you.

Check out our web site: Heart2HeartNYC.org
Connect with us on Instagram: Heart2HeartNYC
Email me: Heart2heartnyc@Heart2heartnyc.
org

Support Heart2HeartNYC by giving a donation
that will enabling them to give more pillows to the homeless.

We give a huge thank you and a standing ovation to Heart 2 Heart NYC for the work that you are doing.  If you are living in the New York area and want to get involved in the work of this life changing organization we encourage you to contact them. 

We wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas and a Happy Holiday!

cloakinc.com